Thursday, October 26, 2006

Shattered

Today I got to do one of those "fun" Classmother things: a field trip. We went to some smelly, muddy pumpkin and livestock farm, and I was having a wonderful time with my daughter and her first-grade class.

And then we got to the goat pen. "Miss Debbie," our intrepid tour guide, began to explain that - despite the fact that these were female goats, many of them were sporting what looked like little goat whiskers on their chins. The word she used was "beards."

A second later, my daughter's teacher pointed to the goat and chimed in helpfully: "Oh, she's Italian."

And, as God is my witness, every last illusion I had about the sanctity of the teaching profession was shattered in that instant. I was stunned, but I felt the need to respond, and to at least let her know that I'd heard her, and that I didn't agree. So I said: "Well, I'm Italian ... but I have no beard."

Once again, I'm amazed at how comfortable people are in expressing their bigotry in polite company. Never you mind that, here on Long Island, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an Italian-American. And forget for a second that if I don't look Italian, with my short stature, dark curly hair and dark eyes, then nobody does.

I don't know what to do. I don't know if I can ever look that Pennsylvania farm girl in the face again. If she was dumb enough and insensitive enough to make a crack like that in my presence, what the hell is going on in that classroom when I'm not around?

6 Comments:

Blogger Finn said...

Wow. I'm rather stunned by what this person thought passed for humour.

By the way, I had never heard that before (I assume there is some stereotype about Italian women being hairy?) so I would have been completely mystified.

This is why it's a good thing that we can't kill people with our minds...

5:22 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

One day in our classroom the teacher was talking about cultural diversity. She asked the kids what they thought diversity was and one boy (whose Dad is a history teacher at the high school) blurted out "Weird!" Ug! That man was my son's 10th grade history teacher. ouch.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Riccie said...

I read your post with sadness. I have a pocket full of hairbrained stories about teachers down here...starting with the multi-paged packet my middle schooler brought home-chocked full of grammatical and spelling mistakes. (Hello, spellcheck?) I thought I was going to fall out of my skin reading through it. And this same person is going to 'grade' my daughter's work????
It's downright scary what goes on in the classroom these days. As a parent I do my absolute best to fill in the gaps...but...Lord help us...and save our kids from some of these adults posing as teachers. I have always had the utmost respect for teachers. Always. Until my oldest daughter got the 'American Government' teacher who didn't have a clue about his subject. Tough break for him: eldest daughter wants to be a lawyer. Very little gets past her...and she has never been afraid to voice her opinion. She embarrassed him in front of the class several times that year...
Sorry, Grace, I realize that I just 'posted an entry' in your comment section...this subject is so close to my heart. :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Please tell me you went directly to the principle and sent a letter to the school committee. There is NO excuse for this.

7:00 AM  
Blogger ann said...

that is bad... very bad... very very bad... naughty naughty teacher

hope u'r feeling better sweetheart

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

p.s. I used to love going on school trips.... memories,lovely memories.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I would report that woman immediately to school officals. People who are prejudice need not work with children and they rarely are only prejudice about one thing. How shameful. :)

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home