Sunday, October 22, 2006

I Needed ...

... to cry my eyes out today. I'm not sure there was any one reason for it. It was just the crushing weight of work, motherhood, marriage, friendship, citizenship and modern life. I needed a physical release, and crying is both cheap and socially acceptable.

I checked the four-hour 1993 video version of "Gettysburg" out of the local library, because there's nothing like the senseless death of more than 53,000 men over three short days to get the waterworks going.

And of course, for me personally, there's the final, devastatingly brilliant performance of Richard Jordan as Brig. Gen. Lewis Armistead. He gives a couple of very emotional speeches, and then gets mortally wounded just as he crosses the Union army lines. The real Gen. Armistead died of the wounds he received at Gettysburg two days after the battle ended. Richard Jordan died from an inoperable brain tumor within a year of completing the film. He was fifty-five years old.

Anyway, I'm too exhausted to go into the details of why this performance and this film were just what I needed to achieve catharsis and (I hope) wake ready to face life again tomorrow. You'll just have to trust me.

Goodnight, Richard.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

This is one of my favorite movies - and a favorite of my older son as well. Joshua Chamberlain is one of his heros. We went to see Flags of Our Fathers this weekend which left me in tears and very angry.
I am sorry that things are so heavy for you now. I hope crying helped, but if not, the sisterhood is here to lean on.

6:54 AM  
Blogger ann said...

Grace...
here's a tissue through cyberspace to wipe those tears from your pretty face

I'm sorry you feel this way, but an almighty blub often works for me too... I am rather prone to tears.

Here's my hand and hugs and lotsa love and kisses and as they say, "don't let the buggers get you down"

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

5:33 PM  
Blogger Riccie said...

(((Grace)))

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS! I've been gutting it out since my mother died--no time to cry, too much to do, can't fall apart, have to carry on, must be stong, work, Hannah, school, estate, pulling myself together, wash rinse repeat blah blah blah.

All the while I'm getting more and more confused and unfocused and sad and crabby and lonely and desperate.

I am TOTALLY going to rent a tearjerker and sob my fool eyes out.

THANK YOU, GRACIE! You've done your good deed for the next decade in just giving me a reason and permission and good company to sob hysterically.

Love you to death, you wild and wonderful woman.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home