Monday, August 28, 2006

Mistress Heidi
I'm part Polish, and those of my maternal grandmother's relatives who didn't leave Poland at the start of World War II were killed by the Nazis during that long, bloody war. So I've always been a bit wary of things German, and of German nationalism in particular. I'm not proud of those feelings, especially since I frequently find myself lecturing the people around me about tolerance and love. But then somebody suggests we head out for Bratwurst, and it all goes to hell.

Then I met Heidi. Well, not met her exactly, just caught her act a few times on "Project Runway." Week after week I watched Mistress Heidi taunting the would-be designers, berating their choice of fabric or their lack of fashion sense. And - I swear to God - when she dismisses each week's loser with a crisp "Auf wiedersen!" I can actually hear a horsewhip cracking in the background.

These days I have to limit my exposure to Heidi and her dominatrix-like thrashing of the designers. Just the other I day I heard myself urging her to bitch-slap some poor idiot who'd put a beautiful girl in the most horrendous outfit ever created. "Yes, Heidi," I yelled at the television, "punish him again!"

And as I turn off the TV, breathless and glowing from another session with Mistress Heidi, I am acutely aware that this woman - this beautiful woman - has relieved me of my last and most firmly-held bias. Danke.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I need to start watching more tv.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Television is a scary place.

I had a lecturer at university here who told me that he and his wife had once had to change planes in Frankfurt. Hearing German being spoken on the tannoy system had seriously freaked him out because he immediately associated it with concentration camps and militarism.

I'm not sure the Germans particularly want to be identified with Mistress Heidi, but I guess she's a few steps up from Hitler (although not quite on the same level as Beethoven).

6:06 PM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

I spent a very lovely weekend with Michael in Duesseldorf when we were dating in 1996. I flew over to meet him on a business trip, and the hospitality of that city was nearly enough to expiate all of my nervous feelings ... until our Chilean cab driver took us out of town on a scenic drive, and remarked that the area we were crossing into was "a hotbed of neo-Nazism."

I turned to my then-boyfriend and said: "I need to get my Polish ass out of here."

8:44 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I would feel the same way Grace. :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I flew into Berlin a few years ago, the first thing I saw when I was going to baggage claim.....Armed guards. Germans in uniform....Scary.

ps. Have to admit I love Project Runway because of Tim Gunn...."Make it work"! Heidi....Spooky

2:09 AM  
Blogger ann said...

Not a country I would care to visit... and I'm not familiar with the programme, but I think it would not sit comfortably with me.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home