Friday, July 28, 2006


Sarah Bernhardt, Eat Your Heart Out

Because that's my girl, "Elf #2" in her camp production of a re-worked tale of Hansel and Gretel.

I'm glad for her and her absolute glee at being able to recall every cue, and to state her lines with a confidence that still eludes her Momma. But because life is forever "interesting," we have a little issue ...

Maddie has Strabismus, which I guess used to be called "lazy eye" or "squint." It's very subtle in her case, but we were recently told (by a surgeon) that she ought to have surgery. My husband and I did some soul-searching, but because there are serious risks involved, and because Strabismus kids more often than not require several surgeries to get their eyes "straight," we're pursuing another route.

It's called Visual Therapy, and it's sort of like physical therapy for the eyes. It sounds like just the thing, and we're very excited about it. Maddie is an excellent candidate, so we're told. Except that, unlike the surgical option, visual therapy is not covered by insurance. (Apparently, the geniuses at HIP/Vytra majored in Penny Wise and Pound Foolish whilst in college, and would therefore rather spend potentially thousands on multiple surgeries than try to fix our little girl with some weekly therapy.)

Of course, the therapy's not cheap. It's upwards of $100 per session.

So wish me luck while I pursue a multi-pronged attack. First, one more "opinion," from a doc who will hopefully have some suggestions as to how we might pursue coverage. Second, a planned appeal of the Denial of Coverage (four years ago I fought Empire Blue Cross to get coverage for a $300K lung transplant for my father-in-law, and won). Third, independent research into the field of Visual Therapy, and - I hope - the discovery of tools to begin the process at home while the other two options are working themselves out.

I'm going to have to remind myself to be patient while this all falls into place. It'll be Halloween at least before we have any resolution ...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Congratulations Maddie on being the perfect elf # 2. BB.....Your daughter is beautiful and clearly has a great spirit.

Good luck with the insurance company, sounds like you have a good plan of action. (It's just not fair you have to have said plan!) Keeeping fingers crossed.

12:22 AM  
Blogger ann said...

she is just so cute.... I bet she was the cutest elf there.

these insurance companies are something else; a real law unto themselves. good luck with the research and the therapy...

lotsa luv ann xxxxxxxx

6:12 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Maddie is such a cutie pie. I pity the insurance company that tries to tell you that you can't do something proactive for your baby. Go tear them up Grace. My money is on you!

Also, letter received and sent! :)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

One of my favourite actors' first roles was as a tap in a school play. I'm sure Elf #2 will go far :-)

10:54 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

You have the most beautiful children! Good luck with your quest against the insurance company - I'm betting on you too! I had strabismus surgery twice - once at 18 months and again on my left eye while at college. I guess there weren't other options then and my eyes were severely crossed. It had to be re-done at 20 because as I grew up, the muscles streched and tipped too far outward!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is precious. I wish you well in your quest with the insurance company. They aren't the Almighty, much as they'd like to believe.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I need to fight The System, too, try to get them to pay for my mother's surgery here in my town rather than 415 miles away in hers. I'm dreading it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that those folks won't know what hit them by the time we rip them a new one. We'll be fierce together as we raise tiny thespians. (Hannah's registered for acting classes this fall because she liked the drama class at camp so well.) Maddie is a star, you can just tell! And don't you wish you could bottle than enthusiasm and self-confidence? You go girl, give 'em all hell.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home