Sunday, July 02, 2006

America's Favorite Pastime ...

... is baseball, of course. And so tonight I went off to Game Three of the "Subway Series" between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets. It was at Yankee Stadium, which was a treat for me. I'm from Long Island, so I've been to Shea (home of the Mets) about six dozen times, but I'd never before entered The House That Ruth Built.

It was great fun. It rained, but I bought a Subway Series ball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes and then sat out in my seat - six rows from third base - to let the rainwater soak right through my tank top and cool me off for the first time all day. It was amazing, and sort of a turn-on (yeah, I'm a little bit of a freak). But then the weather cleared, and the game began.

I grew up with the Mets. It was required of me. But I have to say (however grudgingly) that the Yankees have it all over my team when it comes to "cute." (A notable exception is Randy Johnson, of whom my Grandma Olympia would surely have said: "It's a sin to be that ugly"). And they have fabulous names like Derek and A-Rod and The Big Unit. (Can you say "phallus," boys and girls?)

I have no idea why I'm posting about this. It's after two am, I've just gotten home, and I'm way too wound up for sleep. Maybe it was all that testosterone ...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, am glad you did post. Because it gave me a nice smile this foggy Monday as I sip on my hot coffee. Good morning!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Axe said...

Me too!
Especially testosterone driven words. Hhhmmm....

4:38 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I have always been a Yankees fan. Growing up on Long Island that wasn't always popular but hey so what. I really loved the Islands for hockey. We used to go to their games all the time. If you could get over the fact that they had no teeth they were all really good looking. :)

5:23 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

Despite knowing zilch about baseball, I have in fact seen the New York Yankees play, in Toronto when I was there on holiday. I probably failed to appreciate it, though.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

when I was pregnant, I prayed, "please let the baby be healthy...and let it like books, baseball, and Border collies." I am 4 for 4. Let's Go Cubbies!

8:28 PM  
Blogger ann said...

testosterone... where... I want some

1:04 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Glad to hear you are a Mets fan, as I am a Red Sox fan and anything Skankees is verboten. Although I still haven't forgiven the Mets for 1986.... hahaha

When Randy Johnson played up here for the Mariners, he had quite a following of women lusting after him like we lust after Vincent. Go figure.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Time for an update busy lady. What are you and the kids up to this week? :)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home