Monday, June 05, 2006

“It’s not brain surgery, after all.”

I love it when people say that something is or is not “brain surgery.” Because I know a little something about it, and, as a consequence, I feel uniquely qualified to make such an assessment.

I recently learned that I’m not the only one with these qualifications. That revelation, and a friend’s recent post about peace and death, have had me thinking about all of this again. So here goes:

Eleven years ago I was a 26 year-old lawyer working in New York City. I took a late lunch one Tuesday afternoon and met up with an assistant district attorney I’d been dating in the Astoria section of Queens. After a very pleasant lunch, he began walking me back to the subway.

And then I collapsed, unconscious, on the street. When I awoke in the ambulance, my date explained that I’d had a “little seizure,” but that I was not to worry. He would stay with me for as long as I needed, and – he was sure – we’d soon get the answers to the questions that were written all over my face.

Except the answers weren’t what I hoped. In the coming days, two very competent neurosurgeons at two of the best hospitals in Manhattan made the same pronouncement: I was afflicted with a rather nasty Arteriovenous Malformation (“AVM”), and – unless I allowed one or the other of them go rooting around in my cranium – I was likely going to die.

In the movies, this is the point in the story when everybody breaks down crying. There’s a lot of hugging, and a fair bit of hysteria ensues. This is especially true when the story concerns ethnic types, such as my own Italian-American family. But this wasn’t the movies, and there wasn’t any hysteria. I just listened to what each of the surgeons said and, after I’d digested the concurring opinion at Mount Sinai hospital, I decided to allow them to go ahead and give it a try.

The doc at Mount Sinai made no guarantees; he was hopeful, but he was also careful to advise that the surgery itself was risky, and that I might suffer long-term consequences. I heard him, except that the whole time he was talking, I was quietly peering over at my mother. She looked more terrified than I’d ever seen her, and I knew why: the thought of losing a daughter before her fiftieth birthday was simply incomprehensible. So I just said yes. As in: get it the fuck out of my head -- now!

In the week between the diagnosis and the surgery, I made my peace with the universe and settled my affairs. I also cleaned up my office, and disposed of anything I didn’t want found in the event I had my ticket punched. Then, just in case, I bought some scarves to cover my head if I lived and was able to work.

As is so often the case, the cure was a bit worse than the disease. My brain swelled after the surgery, and I lost the ability to speak and/or comprehend language for several interminable days. It was a little frustrating. I was also abused by a nurse in the Neuro-ICU, but was unable to speak or write to tell anyone about it.

And, once that passed, I got the news that – oops! – it wasn’t a potentially-fatal AVM at all, but a more benign condition known as a Cavernous Hemangioma. And the topper: the CA was nestled so deeply in my brain that the surgeons had been unable to remove it during the seven-hour procedure. Back, as they say, to square one.

So there I was, eleven days in the hospital, half-bald, looking like the Bride of Frankenstein, and so fucking grateful for my situation that – if I’d been able to speak English – I would have shouted from the rooftops. Because, in the end, I’m still here. And, even with the occasional “hello” I get from The Thing in My Head, life is still pretty good. I’m fond of reminding myself, “Other people live with so much worse.” And I mean it every single time.

Even if what happened to me was exactly like brain surgery.

7 Comments:

Blogger ann said...

wow Grace, you certainly went through it and thank G-d you're here to tell the tale.

I often muse that there are people worse off, but it affords me no comfort as I feel so much for them; it gives us the opportunity to do good deeds for others.

It is often heard, "why me?" ~ I often think "why NOT me?" ~ none of us knows what tomorrow will bring, so we should daily count our blessings and never covet what others have, because we don't know what they have and what their tomorrow will be.

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

5:45 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

apparently, I got all of your portion of seething bitterness and hostile resentment for medical things gone awry--you are so gracious and tolerant and appreciative while I just ooze pissiness. I heard Melissa Ethridge on tv the other day, talking about how her cancer made her appreciate life so much more and I thought, wow, all it did for me was scare the living crap out of me and make me paranoid and hurried. I'm going to have to reread this post a few more times and figure out how to adjust my mood and outlook. Not today, though. today I need all the focused bitchiness I can muster. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and so grateful that you're fine and sassy.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I was touched when you shared this with me the other day and equally touched now. Your outlook on your situation is inspirational and it gives all of us something to think about. Thank you for sharing it with all of us and thank you for being you because we all adore you.

P.S. I cooked dinner last night and everyone is still alive this morning. You are rubbing off on me. :)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I have a good friend who suffered a devastating stroke, (at 40) When I walked into her room the nurse kept calling her 'The Vegetable'. I was horrified and furious. I'm sorry that pathetic excuse for a human abused you.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

WOW! Girl, you have been through it! How blessed you are to have come through so much :0)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Grace. You have just made all of my problems seem so trivial. Thank you so much for the clarification of Riccie and for sharing this. I shall keep you and the rest of the amazing stories I have learned about in mind when I 'think' I am having a bad day.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

I think all I can do is second everyone else thoughts and...

::thinks::

Do you happen to be a rocket scientist, because that would be spooky...? ;-)

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home