Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Profanity "Lite"

I adore profanity. I really do. There’s just nothing like the feeling of letting loose with a really robust four-, five- or six-letter word describing some bodily function, sexual organ or (most commonly for me) the biological imperative. It’s like punching a hole in the wall, or kicking a clump of turf across the yard. It’s an actual physical release.

And, goddamnit, some days I just need it.

Men get to express their anger and frustration in all sorts of physical ways; they have sporting events (whether they are participating or simply hollering at their TV sets), hobbies (hunting comes to mind) and a thousand other diversions that permit them to release their anger in any number of socially acceptable ways. Women, on the other hand, have far fewer of these.

Personally, I find that screaming “FUCKER!!” at the top of my lungs as I drive around the lovely person who’s just drifted into my lane while endeavoring to dial a cell phone works pretty well for me. Calms me right the fuck down. So fucking shoot me.

There’s just one problem with my love of profanity, and my penchant for spewing it at my fellow drivers in particular: I have two small children, at least one of whom is in the car with me as much as 90% of the time. This presents a major problem for me. Not a minor can’t-make-the-mortgage-gonna-lose-the-house sort of problem. A MAJOR freakin’ problem. (By the way, “freakin” just doesn’t do it for me. I need the bleep-able version.)

So, as I have frequently done when faced with similar problems, I just negotiated myself a little solution. And now, when I feel the need to metaphorically crush the skull of someone who’s just stolen the last available parking space on 38th Street, I let loose with what I like to call “Lite” Profanity. Basically, I decided that my kids can handle a small amount of well-chosen, judiciously-applied profanity, especially if it means that Mommy will feel better and not crash the car into the nearest available postal box. Simply put, I have reserved to myself two profane words from among those that I consider to be marginally “kid-friendly”: crap and jackass.

And if I’ve ruined them for life, I’ll just have to live with the guilt. Jackass!

9 Comments:

Blogger nifer said...

Bollocks and dickhead are my fav swear words, balls if there are any kids around. Jen x

1:57 PM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

I think bollocks is my next "lite" choice, if only 'cause the kids won't get it. I tried "shite" for a while, but the 5 year-old is too damn smart for her own good!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

When driving in Israel, my usual response isn't so much swearing and getting angry as just staring in abject disbelief at whatever weird thing the drivers around me are doing.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Axe said...

I totally fucking agree - with cunts like that around you, I'm not in the least surprized that you wanna cause a righteous clusterfuck! I sound like Ozzy.

My daughter loves it when I use plain old "Ass" for someone. She says it makes someone sound extra stupid. I guess less is more.

Afrikaans is said to be the best swearing language in the world. We have words that pack a mean punch. Like calling someone a "doos".(pron. Do-iss)
I'll do a post on it, okay?

6:30 AM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

Yes, yes!! I need more ammunition! Plus, now I'm DYING to know what a "doos" is.

BTW: Did you catch the South African fimmaker who won for Best Foreign Fim at the Oscars? He was spewing a whole bunch of stuff in your native tongue ... it was the most incomprehensibly musical stuff I've ever heard!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

oh fuck, me fucking too. but people look at you funny when you're just expressing yourself. I'm not making meth in the bathroom people, just cursing a little.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I think the kids will be alright! I must confess I am still a New York driver at heart. I love my horn and four letter workd when driving! :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Axe said...

BULLETIN:
Tomorrow, Friday 10 March 2006, Miss Axe will be teaching Afrikaans 101 : Third level "language" to all those who need fresh, African ammo for their driving.
See HERE BE MONSTERS. There will be a quiz after class...

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frak and Frael are my two favorites. I kinda phased out fuck, which of course, rules supreme. I found I don't particularly care for my teenage daughters to use that type of language at the house. After all, I do work and volunteer at a church. Father's glasses would crack if I let loose with "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE PEWS ALREADY, YOU LITTLE FUCKING BASTARDS...", don'tcha think?

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home