Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Fish Tale

My husband’s niece is a nanny in another state, and the stories she tells about her little charges make me want to kiss my own spawn until they scream to be let go. Here’s a true one for the ages:

A mother of three decides one day to take her children to the local aquarium. She has a 10 year-old with Down’s Syndrome (which is irrelevant except to suggest that he’s a rather strong boy, with a much younger child’s impulse control), and two younger children.

While in the aquarium, the mother suddenly notices that her 10 year-old has wandered off, and a panic ensues. She enlists the help of several aquarium personnel, and they begin to search for him. A few moments later, he appears, except that he’s absolutely soaked, from his sneakers right on up to the backpack he always wears.

By this time, the mother’s nerves are shot, and so she leaves the aquarium and loads her kids in the van for the trip home. It’s a this point she notices that her son is not only wet, but he smells awful, too. She vows to give him a bath – and to get the story about the dunking he’s obviously taken – as soon as they return home.

As they reach home, the woman is nearly sick from the smell coming off of her son. She opens the front door to the house and – whoosh! – the child speeds past her and up to the bathroom, backpack in hand. He closes the door behind himself and locks it.

The poor woman has now completely lost it. She bangs on the bathroom door, demanding to be let in. She can hear water running inside, but her son refuses to answer. Frightened, she finds a way to get the door open. She swings it wide, preparing to chastise the child in that way mothers do when they’re quite angry, but equally happy to see that a child is alive and healthy.

Her son stands before her, his backpack open on the floor. Just then, she detects a bit of movement out of the corner of her eye. To her left, in the family bathtub, is a penguin. And on the floor, in her son’s backpack, is a pile of penguin poop.

Post-script: As my niece tells the story, the good folks at the aquarium came to collect the little bird, and everyone survived the incident. The workers reportedly told the lady that, but for her child’s special needs, they would have had no choice but to call the police.

I took my kids to the local aquarium here on Long Island yesterday, as I do every couple of weeks or so (the benefits of “membership,” don’t you know). My 5 year-old daughter’s favorite thing to do is to feed and pet the stingrays at the touch tank. No backpacks allowed!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

OMG how funny. I am surprised the penguin wasn't screaming or I think they actually bark. Could you even begin to imagine having to call the zoo to tell them you have one of their penguins! Now that is a phone call not often made! :)

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a story! Kids. Kids! By the way, I love penguins, too. I would always ask 'Santa' to bring me one so I could have a pet. Penguins rule!

7:28 AM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

Thanks ... it's so weird to be able to finally come out of the "closet." No trolls, and no ex-boyfriends (as of yet!). I can't believe I was so frightened!

Now I just have to figure out how to perform some of the more elegant functions, such as photos, linking and etc. Can't wait!!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

BB: I posted a link to this story and your blog with a penguin pic on my blog! :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Deb Walsh said...

This hysterical I just laughed so hard.
:)

8:46 AM  
Blogger ann said...

I don't think this little boy was the first to do this, as I have heard it happen before; still a good story nonetheless.

I'm a birdlover and penguins are so entertaining. I was lucky to visit a place called Boulders Rock near Capetown where colonies of penguins reside. Well I must have gone back there at least half-a-dozen times.... never failed to amuse.

Thanks for sharing this story

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

10:47 AM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

Thanks for the link DNY ... this is stuff I need to learn!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Axe said...

That's why my kids always keep me away from the snake park!!

As for the "D" batteries you asked for on my blog...honey, I don't have any of those, as mine takes a car battery (What? I like horsepower). Wanna rev it up?

4:00 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

I keep coming to visit you. We need somemore of your wonderfuls stories. Please! Hope all is going well with you. Check in with us and let us know what is new with you. :)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Ames said...

Aw, well who could blame him? Penguins are so great!

:-)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Have a great weekend! :)

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home