Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A (True) Poopy Tale

I was in our basement office one recent afternoon, busily checking my e-mail, planning for ballet class with my daughter, and dealing with various other issues, when my three year-old son announced from the floor above: "Mommy, I've got poopy."

Now, I know exactly what that means: "Mother, would you please change my diaper, as the excrement inside is burning my tender flesh?" So, I called back to him: "I'll be right there, Baby." Because that's our routine. He tells me he's pooped, and I go on up and change him.

Except that someone has apparently changed the routine, and forgotten to tell Mommy. Instead of waiting the 30-40 seconds it would have taken me to get upstairs, my son decided to remove the offending receptacle, and slide his poop-encrusted backside down 13 steps to the basement. Thirteen CARPETED steps. "Here, Mommy," he said, offering the filthy thing to me. He was smiling. He was also, as you might imagine, covered in poop from his waist to his ankles. Before I could think about it, I’d swept him up in my arms and headed out the office door … ensuring that I, too, was now covered with poop.

As I exited the office and headed for the stairs to the main floor, I stopped dead. There before me, on thirteen carpeted steps, was a giant skid mark. Right down the center. I looked at my grinning, disgusting little offspring, and regretted for the first time that fateful evening when I advised my husband: “No, I’m sure I’m not ovulating this week.”

Then I headed upstairs, dodging the smelly stuff along the way, and tossed the giggling little poop-machine into the tub. I peeled off my filthy sweater, and went to work on the stairs. My son was laughing at – nay, “mocking” – me, as the phone rang: “Mom! You’ll never guess … poop everywhere … HELP ME!!” She was calm, and agreed to immediately head on over. I hung up the phone, just in time to see my little one draining the water from his tub. He was laughing harder, if that’s possible, and began dancing naked on the bathmat. I wrapped him up, dried him and dressed him. New nappy, new clothes. But still no clean sweater for Mommy.

I SWEAR I didn’t realize that I was, well, basically topless. I was sweating from the cleaning and the warm tub and the fear that if I didn’t work fast, I’d NEVER eradicate the smell and the stain and the …

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. MOM!! I raced for the door. Help had arrived! Except … it wasn't my Mom.

It was the FedEx guy. As soon as the door opened -- I mean as SOON as that cold gust of wind hit my bare chest, I knew I was done for. My mind raced. “Act natural,” I thought. Natural? And then he spoke: "Will you sign for this? Your neighbors aren't home to receive it."

What could I do? I signed. He left. My humiliation was complete.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

If you ever decide to give up the law, you should write a column!! So looking forward to future posts.

9:27 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

That was funny :) I know I shouldn't laugh but you took me back 10 years,except in my case it wasn't the stairs! My son decided to redecorate his room once,with the contents of his nappy,lovely boy that he was.

Eliza xxxxxx

11:38 PM  
Blogger Axe said...

OH SHIT !!! Excuse the pun, but this had me rolling on the floor, babe!!!
Is this for real? It was like something out of a sitcom. You made my day...this was brilliant!

1:26 AM  
Blogger bogusboobs said...

Absolutely true. I can no longer accept shipments from the good folks at FedEx; thank God for UPS ("What can Brown do for YOU?").

A friend whose husband drives for an overnite courier told me that he gets half-dressed moms answering doors all the time. Do you suppose my FedEx man thought I was coming on to him?

Thanks so very much for your support. And, since "life intervenes," I'm sure there will be more.

8:48 AM  
Blogger ann said...

I've just realised you've only just started the blogging. My word I love it.

Memories of 20+ years ago, altho I was with my little grandson two weeks ago. Don't you just love them?

Also, too true about going to the door half naked. Why does it always ring when I'm still in bed or just out the shower? Sod's law!

lotsa luv ann xxx

11:31 AM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

LMAO at this. Sorry because I know that at the time it wasn't very funny at all but the way you tell us about is hilarious. I hope that now that you are clean and the stairs are hopefully clean that you are laughing also. You have to wonder what the hell the FEDEX guy told his friends about his day! I bet you were the highlight!

Have a great weekend! :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

best. story. ever.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home