Friday, November 02, 2007

Murder, Incorporated

I'm sort of a snob about my driving. Not that I'm super-talented or anything; I hit plenty of curbs when I'm parking. It's only that I'm careful in and around our town. Now that I spend nearly every day at the elementary school and with our children and their friends, I sort of feel as though I know every family in town.

And I don't want to kill anybody's child. So I'm careful. And I'm a little arrogant about how careful I am. "Check me out," I tell myself as I'm rolling along at 30 mph. "I mean, did you see that full stop back there?"

And then it happened. Yesterday, as I was crawling along one of our little suburban roads (with a line of beeping, road-raging maniacs on my tail), I squashed a squirrel.

There was just no avoiding the damn rodent. He practically threw himself under the mini-van. In fact ... now that I think back on it a little bit, I'm sure that I saw a look of hopelessness on his little varmint face. Despondency, even.

So what do you think ... squirrel suicide?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

I've always thought life for a squirrel must be very difficult. (trying to avoid cars, dogs, the nut diet) Maybe your guy just decided to give up.

6:38 PM  
Blogger ann said...

screeeeeeeeech!!!!!
been there
done it
worn the t-shirt
but I felt as guilty as hell
when as you say the little varmint
just ran out in front of the car and there was nothing to do

still that should be the worst thing ever and I'm sure there's squirrel heaven where he'll be taught the green cross code, or how to deal with squirrel depression!

9:30 AM  
Blogger val said...

Squirrels, cats, hedgehogs, frogs, you name it, they have no road sense. The modern world is just too fast for the poor little critters.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Axe said...

Its a compliment, Grace.
You were his roadkiller of choice!!! Ha-ha!

3:34 AM  
Blogger ak said...

LOL my parents live in a very wooded area--I often thought about getting a small paintball gun to keep them off the bird feeders. But alas, my hippie side wouldn't allow it!

Anyway, thanks for the comment on my blog! I'm looking for Guy and the Naked Tango in NTSC format, either VHS or DVD for (much) less than $100.
Let me know if you know of anything.
Thanks!!!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home